DanStrong

"When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race."
~~ H.G. Wells

Sunday, July 27, 2014

So long, Dan.

Dan Field passed away last Saturday afternoon, July 17.

For the last 2 years, Dan had been fighting a recurrence of the brain cancer that he, his family and the folks at Dana-Farber had beaten back into remission almost 12 years ago.   This time around, it was just not to be.

Dan (among so many other things) was a rider for the PMC, but became unable to ride when his cancer returned in 2012.  That year Sandy, who worked with Dan, suggested that I should carry his "passengers" (the names of the people he rides for) along with me in his stead.  I've carried it ever since -- and will continue to do so.

So that was how I came to meet Dan.   And now I so wish that I had known Dan better.

Sandy and I attended Dan's memorial service in Southborough yesterday.  While I had quickly grown to admire Dan, his wife Donna and their handsome boys, I don't think I was fully prepared to experience just how broad an impact Dan had on the people around him -- for the entirety of his brief time here...
  • Dan's older son, a freshly-minted high school graduate, astounded me with his grace, composure and articulate sense of humor as he recalled for everyone how Dan would read Dr. Seuss stories to him and his brother every night.  Dan clearly loved the silliness and wordplay, but the messages of love, steadfastness and sense-of-self clearly took root in his sons through those silly bed-story times.  
  • A friend, co-worker and fellow PMC rider delivered what must have been the most difficult, but beautiful remembrances of Dan's humor, intellect and strength of will.  I can't imagine how tough it was to write that, let alone deliver it. I laughed and cried. We should all be so lucky to have a friend like that.
  • There were also a few other remembrances of Dan over the years from his neighbors, college buddies and scouting friends that revealed even more of the depth and breadth of Dan's humor, strength and love for his family. 
So really, what does one take away from all this?   I mean, how do I properly honor and remember someone like Dan? That question has been rolling around in my mind since we left that ceremony yesterday. It just rings false to me that mourning a "Dan-shaped hole in the world" is something that Dan would really get behind.  So after a lot of thought (and re-writes of this post), I've come to this conclusion:  Just as Dan was a part of all those people's lives, Dan is still part of their lives -- and part of my life, too -- and I should build on that.  So maybe the best way for me to honor Dan's life is by simply recognizing the things that made him special, and then growing those things within my own life -- and with others: Tenacity.  Love for Family.  Respect for others. Laughter.  Strength.

So Dan, thanks for all you've ever done or said.  I wish I'd known you better, but I'm grateful you came into our lives. I'll try to remember to "..make every day my Masterpiece".   And I'll think of you and smile every time I watch "Young Frankenstein" or "Seinfeld". And I'll try to be "DanStrong".
Yes, I think that might help.

No comments:

Post a Comment