DanStrong

"When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race."
~~ H.G. Wells

Sunday, July 26, 2015

Meet Nicole.

Nicole, from August 2013
This is Nicole Rasile McPherson. Nicole was diagnosed with stage 4 Hodgkins Lymphoma a little over 2 years ago.

Nicole is married to my cousin, Dusty McPherson.  Now, I have always asserted that the McPherson men have historically and consistently married well -- and I'm pleased that Dusty clearly inherited that ability. Nicole is a force of nature; smart and funny with an 100-watt smile -- and tough as a pine knot. Good work, Dusty!

Nicole and Dusty have two beautiful kids, Laker and Lizzy -- and they're clearly the center of their universe. They love those two kids beyond words. Over more than 2 years of chemo treatments (I lost count) and two bone marrow transplants, Nicole has doggedly kept me and her extended network of family and friends up to date with Laker's excellent baseball seasons, Lizzy's doll time with Daddy, and various school goings-on.
Dusty, Nicole, Laker and Lizzy -- May 2013

I have so loved reading Nicole's Facebook posts about her family over the last couple of years. She's a straight-shooter with a sense of humor that's as broad as her strength is deep. Case in point: here's what Nicole shared recently about cancer/chemo, love and her family:
"... we hate cancer, but we love more, harder, and stronger because of it.  ...And hell, if you can get free ice cream because your momma is bald..."  
Now, I'm sure Nicole is smart enough to find other ways for her kids to get ice cream.. but she's also smart enough (and kind enough) to find a sparkle of humor somewhere in this grind of chemotherapy and it's lovely side-effects and give us the chance to laugh with her, just a little bit.
So Nicole, thank you for having the strength and taking the time to share so honestly with all of us.

Please keep BUSTIN' IT.

I promise that I'll keep bustin' it for you and will be thinking about you and your family a lot this weekend, on the road!   See ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment