DanStrong

"When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race."
~~ H.G. Wells

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

In Memory of David Haynes

Below is a copy of the email that I sent this year to "kick off" my fund-raising for this year's Pan Mass Challenge.    This year, I'm riding in memory of David Haynes -- whom I rode for last year.  David passed away this Spring and he is missed by all.   

/doug


Hi,

I'll get to the point immediately:  I'm writing you to ask for your support for this year's Pan Mass Challenge for the Jimmy Fund.  The Pan Mass Challenge (PMC) is a 192-mile, 2-day bike ride to raise money for the Jimmy Fund.  (The Jimmy Fund supports cancer research and treatment at Dana-Farber in Boston.)  My fundraising commitment for this year is $4,200 and I am looking to your support to help me meet -- and hopefully exceed that amount.

Some of you may recall that for last year's PMC I rode in support of David Haynes, a family friend who's been battling cancer since 2004. On February 25, David finally lost that battle and passed away. He is deeply missed by his family and friends, and I will sadly -- but very proudly -- be riding in his memory this year.

I started drafting this email in early February, not knowing the seriousness of Dave's condition.  It was a little surprising just how unprepared I was to deal with his death.  I couldn't bring myself to work on this letter any more... just couldn't seem to get the words out. Then Sandy and I went to Dave's wake and something happened.

There at Dave's wake, Sandy and I ended up speaking with Elizabeth Hoenshell, another friend of the family.  Elizabeth shared with us how her youngest daughter Kristen had been diagnosed with a rare and aggressive form of cancer last Spring, and had been undergoing chemo treatments at the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute down near Fenway in Boston. And Kristen isn't even yet 18 months old.  Elizabeth shared with Sandy and me about the amazing level of care, attention and sensitivity that she and her family received from the staff at Dana-Farber.  At the time, I believe Kristen was due for one more round of chemo.  Almost before that could sink in, Elizabeth then proceeded to introduce us to her mother, standing near us: a cancer survivor and former Dana-Farber patient.

The entire experience was simultaneously heart-breaking and uplifting -- and it shook loose whatever it was that was keeping me from finishing this letter. Standing in the room face-to-face with two more "living proof" stories at David's house, I could feel the wind come back into my sails.  So, with a renewed sense of purpose and vigor that I write this.  Come the weekend of August 1st, I'll once again set off peddling that 192 miles in memory of David -- and with great hope for Kristen and her family.  I sincerely hope that you will be able to help.

Your support is absolutely vital to help Dana-Farber continue their fine work in cancer research and treatment.  It's working.  Since 1988, two out of every three children who enter the Jimmy Fund Clinic are cured and survival rates for localized breast cancers have steadily increased to almost 98%.  Breakthroughs in detection, diagnosis and treatment would not have been possible without the support of people like you and me.  So please, support me on this year's 2-day ride with as generous a donation as you can.  You can also be very proud of the fact that 100 percent of your donation goes directly to the Jimmy Fund.

By far, the quickest and easiest way to help is to donate on-line using your credit card.  Just follow this link the PMC website: https://donate.pmc.org/dm0192  and follow the instructions there.  The transaction is secure and far and away the most convenient and efficient way to donate. While you're at the PMC web site, stop and look around! You'll be amazed.

If you'd prefer to donate by check, then please make it payable to "PMC - Jimmy Fund" and mail it to me at the address below and I'll take care of the rest:
Doug McPherson
13 Marble Farm Road     
Maynard, MA 01754

...or just hit *reply* to this email and I'll send your a pre-addressed stamped envelope to you right away.

Once again, I appreciate your support on this, but if you'd rather not receive these emails any more, simply reply with "unsubscribe" and I will take you off my list, no questions.

Thanks very much,
/doug

 

No comments:

Post a Comment