DanStrong

"When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race."
~~ H.G. Wells

Saturday, May 9, 2009

My Pedal Partner

As I mentioned in a previous post,  I have a "Pedal Partner" for this year's PMC:  little Kristen Hoenshell from my very own Littleton.   You can read about the Pedal Partner program on the PMC website, so I won't re-type it all here.

On Saturday May 2, the PMC hosted a "meet-n-greet" at Fenway Park for the Jimmy Fund clinic pediatric oncology patients and their riders.  Kristen and her mom, Elizabeth, came out that morning to Fenway for the event.    It was the first time I'd seen Kristen in person.  She is a full-on cutie.  

I didn't know what to expect and was completely unprepared.  I didn't even think to bring a camera.  Oh well.   Elizabeth and I chatted while Kristen scoped out the area.  She (Kristen) went climbing through the bleachers, and unnerved her mom a little. (We were up high behind home plate near the State Street Pavillion, so it's a ways up.)    Stacey Lucchino, PMC rider and organizer (and wife of Red Sox President &CEO Larry Lucchino)  spoke for bit, as well as Billy Starr.   But the most memorable speaker was Matt Bodenrader: a former Jimmy Fund patient and Pedal Partner who's now a PMC rider in his fourth PMC.

There's a good summary of the Pedal Partner Party on the PMC blog, with additional pictures.   I felt a little awkward, since most of the kids were paired up with actual bike teams -- but I'm a "team of one".   Kristen was very gracious and didn't seem to mind..  :-)

Anyway, check out the PMC web site and blog (above links in this post)  for more (and better-written) info.  

/doug

No comments:

Post a Comment